arete Australia's Melbourne team has completed the $17.1 million redevelopment of the Australian Sports Museum (ASM) located inside the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).
The Australian Sports Museum is 2,650m2 of bespoke interactives, joinery and showcases specifically designed to hold vast memorabilia collection of the MCC Museum, Australian Football of Fames, Australian Gallery of Sports and Olympic Museum, Australian Racing Museum & Hall of Fame as well as providing space for the Champion Thoroughbred Racing Gallery, Sporting Nation, Olympic Gallery, Cricket Gallery, Sports Australia Hall of Fame, ASM Cinema Sport, Game On Gallery, Peppers Ghosts, a temporary exhibit space for fufuz and teaching spaces.
It truly is a project that needs to be seen, touched and used in order to get a true feel for the work that went into to achieving it. Whilst it is very hard to do the project justice when putting it into words, some our favourite pieces of the of work within the project are:
- The demolition and subsequent concrete infill of the existing escalator, an engineering feat when trying to transfer the weight of an escalator onto hollow core concrete beams, and might I say it is quite difficult to get concrete into Basement 1 of the MCC.
- The new lift frame structure, which is wholly suspended from above.
- The 3D geodesic sound attenuating dome which blocks external sound once inside and then replicates the sound and feel of being at large events such as the sound of F1 cars going past you at the Melbourne Grand Prix, or horse running past you and the Melbourne Cup.
- The 5m high by 15 long Sherrin football rock climbing wall with a rolled steel structure, multi layers of plywood shaped and sanded to replicate a football, finishing in Sherrin Red with Logo and then a climbing points installed with a crashmat below.
- The flooring which has over 60 different arrangements, most notable would be the laser cut Marmoleum flooring used to create entrances, signage and sporting fields, the printed running track printed carpet which runs up bleachers and the Bolon flooring pattern replicating the logo at the entry.
- The new rolled steel curved staircase with rolled structure, handrail & balustrade or working together seamlessly.